At long last, this week on SlapperCast Mike and Wes have their debut on the show and share a bit about their musical histories. Also: stories of our experiences in Las Vegas and a few memorable incidents with drunk people at our shows.
Hello from Las Vegas! This week, Paddy and Chad talk about how Blaggards got booked in Vegas by the legendary Derek Warfield, the band’s longtime relationship with Celtic FC supporters, their unique arrangement of Fields of Athenry, the perils of people-pleasing in the arts, and a tip of the hat to the remarkable bravery of stand-up comedians.
- Interview with Derek Warfield — The Plough & the Stars
- Celtic fans at Glasgow Cross having a party
- Celtic fans singing “Fields of Athenry” during the match against Rangers on September 10th, 2016
- “Never play to the gallery” — David Bowie
- David Bowie: A look back at his ’90s era – when he got weird again — Great interview with Reeves Gabrels on his friendship and collaboration with David Bowie
- Patton Oswalt Reveals What Keeps Creative People From Creating — OffCamera with Sam Jones
- David Letterman on Robin Williams — WTF with Marc Maron (about 40 minutes in)
- Pete Townshend talks about Jimi Hendrix
Chad waxes nostalgic about Fitzgerald’s, one of Houston’s oldest music venues that closed last year… and was torn down last week to make way for a parking lot.
This week on SlapperCast, Patrick and Chad talk about their interests outside of music, how they “wind down” between shows, how the band has held together for so long, favorite foods, and the joys of Houston humidity. Also plenty of odd diversions, including a story about Chad’s unlikely-but-true connection to the ’90s movie “Reality Bites”.
- ‘Get the Gimp’: Breaking Down ‘Pulp Fiction’s Most Notorious Scene — Rolling Stone
- Reality Bites Captured Gen X With Perfect Irony — the Atlantic
- Interview with T Bone Burnett — WTF with Marc Maron
- True Detective — HBO Series
- Lone Star Pirate Festival, July 20, 2019 — Warehouse Live, Houston
- “Dennis, there’s some lovely filth down here” — Monty Python and the Holy Grail
- Cabo Baja Tacos & Burritos — Houston
- Cactus Music — Houston
- “Never eat Mexican food east of Mississippi or north of Dallas.” – Lyle Lovett, Southern Living (2012)