This week on #SlapperCast:
- Eric’s memories of 1978
- Blaggards on Sessions LIVE on Thursday, August 13 at 5 PM Central
- Drive-in concerts?
- Blaggards FACE MASKS will soon be available
- When Eric got “cut off” with the Derailers at Applebee’s in Santa Fe, NM
- How people’s opinions tend to fly out of control on social media
- More new BLAGGARDS songs brewing the studio
- Liberty DeVitto’s biography (former Billy Joel drummer)
- Our dream interview subjects (alive or dead)
- The importance of interviewing family members as a historical document
- Realistic interview subjects
- The art of conducting a good interview
This week on #SlapperCast, we welcome our longtime “auxiliary” fiddler, the brilliant Jeff Duncan!
Jeff has been performing and recording with Blaggards since 2008, and will be prominently featured on our forthcoming new album.
- How we first met Jeff
- The influence Jeff’s parents had on his musicianship
- Jeff’s talent for playing songs he’s never heard before
- What music we’re listening to in our cars right now
- What bands would we like to play in given the opportunity
- Sight-reading or play by ear?
- Audience members trying to insert themselve into your gig
- How did Jeff choose fiddle as an instrument?
- The importance of teaching music to kids
- Challenges in teaching music remotely during the pandemic
- Current Blaggards projects in rehearsal and the recording studio
- The value of arrangement skills (including praise for our original fiddler Turi Hoiseth)
Listen to the podcast or watch on YouTube.
This week on #SlapperCast:
- Recapping our recent live stream show
- Memories of Super Bowls past
- New songs we’ve been working on in the recording studio
- Patrick has started intermittent fasting
- High praise for Houston’s Star Pizza and Buffalo Bayou Brewing Co.
- How our sleeping habits have (or haven’t) changed since we’ve stopped gigging
- Difficulties we’ve had getting decent sleep while on tour
- Stories of the excruciatingly long drive from here to West Texas
- Memories of visiting Big Bend National Park
- Patrick’s habit of wandering off into desert landscapes with no phone connectivity
- The far-reaching influences of Sergio Leone’s “The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly”
- The excellent storytelling of Joel & Ethan Coen’s “No Country for Old Men”
- Remembering SCTV
This week on SlapperCast:
- Blaggards are SIXTEEN years old
- Comparing our sound gear from 16 years ago to what we use today
- The strong possibility of another shelter-in-place order
- The effect that the pandemic is having on bars and live music
- Comparing house bands from late-night TV shows
- What we think about mandatory mask-wearing