This week on #SlapperCast:
- Houston’s near-miss with Hurricane Laura
- An update on last week’s show (Episode 81) with pub/brewery owner Chris Steele and his efforts to reopen his businesses during the pandemic under current TABC restrictions
- Upcoming guest: comedian Slade Ham
- The op-ed battle between Jerry Seinfeld and James Altucher about the fate of New York City
- How the pandemic is affecting retail space and office space real estate
- Do we have any strange pre-show rituals?
- How audience feedback affects musicians and comedians
- How many marriages are Blaggards responsible for?
- Why we miss the routine of loading in/setting up/breaking down/loading out gear at shows
- The importance of a quick load-out after a show
- Struggles with weight loss/maintenance during the pandemic
- Will we do a #SlapperCast live stream?
- We will we record and release our version of Danny Boy?
Many thanks to Kelli for your questions!
This week on #SlapperCast: we talk with our dear friend Chris Steele, owner of O’Bannon’s Taphouse and Blackwater Draw Brewing Co. in Bryan–College Station, Texas.
- How Chris got started in the bar industry, and how his wife Stephanie got him hooked on quality beer
- The genesis of O’Bannon’s Taphouse and Blackwater Draw Brewing Co. (BWD)
- The challenges that O’Bannon’s and BWD are now facing during the pandemic with the inconsistent and unreasonable restrictions being placed on bars/restaurants in Texas.
- How alcohol laws in Texas have changed since the pandemic, and how they might (should) continue to change
This week on #SlapperCast, Patrick’s brother Andrew Devlin joins us to talk about his company PitchHub.
- What Andrew’s life has been like with three young boys virtual learning from home
- Why Andrew prefers Spotify over other streaming music services
- Andrew’s company PitchHub, which helps businesses create video content to use online
- PitchHub’s concept of helping clients create a “video business card”
- How PitchHub could be useful for musicians
- How the pandemic is affecting the real estate business, as people no longer have to worry about living close to work
- How music venues might adapt to the pandemic
- The challenge of adding real applause to live stream performances
- How late night talk show hosts have adapted to working from home
- Working on song arrangements in the recording studio instead of on stage
Former drummer and Forever Blaggard Mike McAloon rejoins us for a whole episode!
Save our Stages
- How life has changed for Mike since he left the band
- Mike’s assessment of Eric’s drumming in Blaggards
- Eric’s assessment of Mike’s drumming in Blaggards
- The generational differences between Mike and Eric’s approach to drumming and musicianship in general
- Great 1990s drummers
- How Mike first became a drummer
- What Mike misses about being in Blaggards
- Favrorite gig we’ve ever played as Blaggards
- How the bar industry and live music have been suffering during the pandemic
- How Mike’s dad was instrumental in getting Mike into Blaggards
- Chris Longwood has agreed to master the new Blaggards album